That is why we have come up with the most thoughtful gifts possible. These include practical and pampering gifts as well as some really supportive ones that will mean the world to the new Mama!
- Share Meals- You can team up with the mom’s other loved ones and organize a meal calendar where you all take turns dropping off meals. Make your best dinner or soup you can freeze, and give it to the mom to use on a night when the family is too exhausted to make dinner. Even better, any leftovers will work well as lunch for the family the next day.
- As another option, gift cards to Grubhub make great new mom gifts because the family can pick out exactly what they want.
- Subscription Meal Deliveries- Healthy Chef Creations have a Healthy Mommy and Baby menu. This is such a great gift. Absolutely perfect! There is also this plant-based meal delivery company called Veestro!
- Smoothie delivery- Keep the mama healthy and nourished! Daily Harvest has great smoothies and delivery system (you will need to check on their website if they deliver in her area).
- Snack basket- She will need quick snacks on hand for herself, so you could get a basket and fill it up with food, for example, nuts, fruit, healthy snack bars like carrot cake Larabars and so on. You could even add a reusable water bottle (this one is a beauty) to help her keep hydrated!
- Instant Pot– These are the best and will be a winner for many years to come! The Instant Pot will help her prepare quick, easy, and healthy meals.
2) Support Lactation
- Whip up a batch of lactation cookies as a gift to the new mom, then drop them off. She will get to snack on a treat while feeling good about it! Here is a tasty recipe you can make from scratch or you can get a lactation cookie mix. You can also gift her some Traditional Medicinals Organic Mother’s Milk Tea.
- Hire a Postpartum Doula- Postpartum doulas are trained to understand what new babies – and new mothers – truly need. The doula helps with soothing techniques, offers breastfeeding or bottle feeding support, and explains normal newborn behavior. Some doulas will even do light housekeeping, run errands, prep meals, and anything else you need during the newborn phase. To find a postpartum doula use this Doula search.
3) Get Her Comfy
- See if you can buy her a gift card to see her local chiropractor. Lots of women have back pain after birth and an adjustment is sometimes just what they need!
- Cushy form Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief Knee Pillow by Cushy Form – Improves circulation for side sleepers, use as knee spacer during pregnancy or post surgery recovery, assists with restless leg syndrome.
- Womens Indoor Warm Fleece Slippers – Keep her feet warm when she has to get up and tend to her baby quickly.
- Sleepwear- The new mom will want to wear something comfortable in the first few weeks postpartum! These pajamas are a favorite, look great and come in several colors. Or you can get some short pajamas for summertime.
- Hoodie Sweatshirt with Baby Carrier – These are so handy and look great too!
4) Give Her Some Precious Time
- Offer to hold her baby while the new mom does what she needs to take care of herself. She may want a shower, a leisurely bath, a nap, a walk by herself, or just to run to the store alone.
- Get her out of the house Find mommy and me classes in her area and buy her a gift card. For example, a local class. These classes can be a lifesaver and give mama some much needed social interaction. She will have the opportunity to make new friends with other moms who have newborns and got some gentle exercise for her postpartum body too.
- Take an errand off her list. Most major grocery stores now offer delivery services, which are an amazing timesaver for new parents. You can ask her what she needs at the store, then have it delivered – or you can give her a gift certificate for grocery delivery and let her order exactly what she needs. You can also try AmazonFresh grocery delivery service.
- Sitzing Pretty Bath Tea– I love Spoiled Mama products! For Mamas who’ve had a vaginal delivery, this Sitzing Pretty bath tea is a great way to bounce back to your normal self. This postpartum sitz bath blends organic herbs such as shepherds purse, yarrow, and goldenseal to aid in healing and restoration. Meanwhile, calendula, chickweed, and plantain provide soothing, styptic and antibacterial properties. Includes reusable muslin bag for your convenience.
- Tummy Butter for Stretch Marks – As your body recovers, postpartum skin care is more important than ever. With sudden weight loss, your skin is prone to stretch marks — and for Mamas who came out with a new stripe or two, this is a critical time to treat those new stretchies. With vitamins A & E and essential fatty acids, this postpartum Tummy Butter helps promote elasticity, repair damaged skin and increase cell regeneration for bouncy, youthful skin.
- Organic Sitz Bath Soak For Natural Postpartum Care Recovery & Hemorrhoids Relief – It probably takes a bit longer to heal than a new mom may have originally planned. And while she’s going through this recovery, she will greatly appreciate anything to make it easier on her. We highly recommend pairing this gift with a genuine offer to watch baby while she takes a bath, locked in with a glass of wine and candles.
- Fix that Sucker Nipstick Nipple Cream for Sore Nipples – A best friend sees you through blood, sweat, and tears. And that’s why Nipstick is your newest BFF: Breastfeeding Friend!
- Monthly Self-Care Subscription from Ecocentric Mom – This lucky mom will receive 4-6 practical and pampering items just for her (note this is not a pregnancy or baby related box – it’s all about self-care for the busy mom.) Her products will include beauty, bath, home, baby care, wellness, snack and lifestyle accessories.
- Spa Service- Give her a guilt-free experience she will appreciate with a gift certificate for a massage, mani/pedi, or anything else you know she would enjoy. If you wish, you can add a note along with the gift certificate, “I will come over to babysit when you book this!”
- Bring the Spa to Her – Help the new mom feel pampered by putting together a few of her favorite bath and body products in a basket such as: shampoo, body wash, moisturizer, facial masks, body lotion, or dry shampoo. As another option, you can get her a gift card for an in-home massage with the Zeel app. With Zeel, she can book an in-home massage with just an hour’s notice.
- Meaningful Necklace- These Chic Disc Necklace with Birthstones are gorgeous! A mom necklace also makes the perfect gift because if she has any other kids later on, she can add more pendants to it, and you can get them in either silver, gold or white gold:
- Family Necklace– Similar to the one that Heidi Klum wears, this necklace can be customized for you with small, thin 14K gold filled or sterling silver charms. Each charm measures 3/4″ in diameter and can be engraved with up to 7 letters or numbers. Hangs on a beautiful shiny cable chain.
- Give her a clean house- Most new parents have trouble fitting in house cleaning on top of everything else, so scheduling a house cleaning service would be a much-appreciated gesture. Of course you would need to feel out the situation and see if they won’t get offended. I strongly doubt they will though!
- Help Out- If the new mom is a close friend, you can stop by to visit and then pitch in to help out around the house. You can fold a load of laundry, load or empty the dishwasher, wipe down the kitchen counters, and so on. However, keep in mind that having visitors in your home can be especially draining for new parents, so try to keep your visit on the shorter side.
- Get her a robot vacuum– These are magical and such a lifesaver! They will help save her some worry about the state of the house. Especially if they have pets!
- Get her a Lightweight Vacuum – These are not the cheapest gift, however, they are awesome and she is certainly going to need it. These are light and super easy to quickly grab and clean the floors. They work really well too!
- Prepare a message in a bottle- This gift doubles as a keepsake that the child will treasure the rest of their lives. Give the new mom these Letters to My Baby prompted letters and she can fill these twelve envelopes with memories and hopes for her little precious. Then postdate, seal, and save the letters to gift to her child at a later date.
- Record the firsts- The Lucy Darling Little Animal Lover Memory Book baby journal is unique, in that it only needs photos and a few words added throughout as each page is artfully designed to intentionally take pressure off moms and she will have a beautiful record of her baby’s first year.
- The ideal gift for new busy mothers. These thoughtfully-designed, handcrafted keepsake boxes make sorting all your keepsakes–from the blankie that comforted her to the first lost tooth–a snap. So you spend more time sharing memories, and less organizing them!
- Baby Handprint Kit by Little Hippo. SPECIAL NO MOLD VERSION! This adorable kit comes with: 3 packs of non-toxic white clay, mini rolling pin, handpainted wood frame, double sided tape & easy instructions. When bibs and toys eventually fade, your beautiful frame keeps gifting sweet little moments forever.
- Capture her stories- This special journal called Letters to You is a book where the new mom will find prompts, questions, and space to write a letter to her child every year of their childhood. She can read the pages together with her little one through the years, or she can wait and give the finished book as a graduation or wedding day present.
- The Book of Me is a do-it-yourself memoir book with prompts for the new mother to record her family history and to reflect on her past, present, and future. Then one day, she’ll be able to gift this one-of-a-kind autobiography to her child as a keepsake he can treasure for the rest of his life to remember his mother.
- Capture Those Precious Moments- If the new mother doesn’t have a decent camera and you are looking for a more substantial new mom gift idea, a camera makes the perfect gift. She will be able to capture every little adorable thing her baby does and have those snapshots to look back on forever. This Sony camera starter pack has everything you need with a new camera (lens, bag, memory card). This Sony is fast, light and compact, super quiet and it all takes great videos! This camera has wonderful auto focus to catch all the crazy movements of your kiddo in action! My husband has used this for taking videos (you can check out his video at the end if this article).
Write a letter- This gift doubles as a keepsake that the new mom will treasure forever. Write a special handwritten letter to her to share encouraging words, happy wishes, or any words of wisdom you want to pass along. If you are not sure what to write, just let her know that she is doing a great job. Or if you want writing prompts, you can get these Letters to the New Mom prompted letters and give her 12 special letters. Sign the letters, seal them with the enclosed stickers, and give the completed book to the new mom. She will treasure your words well after her baby is all grown up!
Books and Wisdom
- Share wisdom- Moms always appreciate some loving guidance, wisdom, and support—and that is what she will find in this beautiful kit. Check out The Mother’s Wisdom Deck. During a daily or weekly routine, the new mother can select a card from the deck and find an empowering message with ideas for reflecting on how to be the best mother and person she can be. This deck is a beautiful reminder to slow down and appreciate the sacred moments of motherhood.
- Reading– The new mom will spend a huge chunk of every day holding her baby. So gift her a lightweight Kindle that she can hold one-handed while holding the baby too. She will get caught up on all that reading she has been meaning to do and keep her sane! Or as another option, you can give the new mom the waterproof Oasis version of the Kindle so she can take it in the bath with her, too. You can load her new Kindle with these titles, or if she prefers paper get her the physical books:
- Breathe, Mama, Breathe: 5-Minute Mindfulness for Busy Moms – This book helps the new mom develop a habit of taking five-minute “mindful breaks” that will keep her happy and healthy.
- The Fourth Trimester: A Postpartum Guide to Healing Your Body, Balancing Your Emotions, and Restoring Your Vitality – The postpartum period can be such a roller coaster for a new mom, but this book is an empowering guide through that tough time.
- Parent Hacks: 134 Genius Shortcuts for Life with Kids – Tips on topics such as sleep, eating, baths, travel, and more.
Welcome to the Club: 100 Parenting Milestones You Never Saw Coming – It is so important that a new mom keeps her sense of humor. That’s the best way to get through the first year while struggling to figure out parenting. Some milestone examples are, “First time holding the baby over your head and she pukes on you,” and, “First time you try to install a car seat and curse yourself for not getting that PhD in Theoretical Physics.”
- The Happy Sleeper: The Science-Backed Guide to Helping Your Baby Get a Good Night’s Sleep-Newborn to School Age – The Happy Sleeper is a research-based guide to helping children do what comes naturally—sleep through the night.
- The Happiest Baby on the Block – Never again will you have to stand by helplessly while your little baby cries and cries. There is a way to calm most crying babies . . . usually in minutes!
- The Read-Aloud Handbook – This book will help her to raise a lifelong reader right from the start. Plus, the annotated list of great read-aloud books at the end is pure gold. It’s never too early (or too late!) to read aloud to your little one.
Give her unlimited entertainment. The new mom would appreciate a membership to any movie streaming service. If you gift her with Amazon Prime, in addition to the unlimited movie access she will also get free two-day shipping on any items she orders for a year, which is perfect for when you run out of diapers but you are too exhausted to load baby up to run to the store.
Mommy’s First Milestones – Wine Bottle Label Gift – Set of 4 – These are wonderful for a little laugh and even better to let the new mommy know she is not alone. Each of these 4 milestones for mommy are significant life firsts, and commemorating them is a way of inducting her into motherhood. First date night, first girls’ night out, baby on the move, and our favorite: first public temper tantrum – these are all events that deserve a good bottle of wine 🙂
Thanks for reading!
As promised, my husband’s video using the Sony Alpha 6300 Camera: